Draft FHIR Product Priorities for Release 4
Now that we’ve published Release 3 of HL7 FHIR, it’s time for us to consider our main priorities for the next FHIR release. We’ve developed a draft list of product priorities for the Release 4 and will be discussing the following list at the HL7 May International Conference & Working Group Meeting next week in Madrid.
Please note that the following list is only a draft and is not considered final:
- Normative: push to normative for
- Foundation / API / XML / JSON / Bundle / OperationOutcome
- Terminology Service (ValueSet / CodeSystem / ExpansionProfile)
- StructureDefinition / CapabilityStatement
- Patient / RelatedPerson / Practitioner / Organization / ?Endpoint
- Position a core set of clinical resources (‘health base’?) for normative in R5 (or Observation | AllergyIntolerance | MedicationStatement normative for R4?)
- JSON: ? use manifest for extensions, parameters resource (see blog post) (note that discussion on this didn’t go very well – probably will be dropped)
- RDF: more ontology bindings + resolve status of JSON-LD
- Data Analytics: support for a bulk data analysis bridge format (Apache Parquet?)
- API: better control over retrieving graphs, and value added query support (tabular format?)
- Patterns: change the W5 framework to a pattern (logical model), tie the patterns to ontology, and use of patterns to drive more consistency (and how to do this without decreasing quality)
- Services: more services. Candidates: conformance, registry, personal health summary?, etc?
- Deployment: get a clear standards path for smart on fhir / cds-hooks (and alignment with UMA/Heart)
- FM: work on alignment between FM resources and the rest of FHIR
Please note that this list is written anticipating that the normal standards development process occur, and the content as a whole is maintained. I’d expect that this would amount to 1,000s of tasks. So this list is not a list of ‘what will change in R4’, but an indication of where particular focus will be applied by the FHIR leadership (so don’t be concerned if a particular issue of yours is not on this list, as long as it’s in gForge).